Thursday, January 9, 2014

205 Days Sober

I don't want to fall again.  I had a spurt of a year and a half a couple years ago, and the longest spurt of being sober was for 10 years.  If I could fall after 10 years, after a year and a half, I could fall now.  I've had some days when I was tempted.  I made it through.  I've been feeling alone lately.  I don't fit in at church.  I hate sitting alone.  I'm not sure how to relate to those around me.  I don't always fit in at work.  No, I fit in at work.  It's the "hanging out" with coworkers when not at work.  That's where I don't fit in.  I'm Mormon, I'm different.  I can't do social stuff because I want to live the gospel.  But, I don't fit in at church either.  So frustrating.  Last Sunday, I just hoped someone would come talk to me.  I know I need to make an effort as well.  I need to try to be a friend.  I've been doing my visiting teaching.  But, I haven't been visit taught in almost 2 years.  I wish someone would ask me how I'm doing with my scripture reading, with my personal prayers.   I was doing great at reading the scriptures (I need to be more diligent).  I have read about the importance of dailies in staying sober.  But, I wish I had someone else to be accountable to other than myself and the Lord.  If you home teach or visit teach, ask.  The gospel is true, I guess that's all that really matters.  Good things have happened too.  I was able to return to the temple.  I made progress in family history.  I've been better at gospel study then I had in years.  I have more confidence in approaching Heavenly Father.  One day at a time I guess.

2 comments:

  1. My dear friend - chin up! You are not alone!! I am so sorry you are hurting. I know how important a simple hello can be to help lift our spirit's.

    205 days is an amazing place to be. BRAVO! That is NOT easy. You are built to do hard things!

    Keep up the good fight.

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~I wish someone would ask me how I'm doing with my scripture reading, with my personal prayers.
    ~But, I wish I had someone else to be accountable to other than myself and the Lord.

    Hi Canyon!! My name is Robin. I would be VERY honored to be an Accountable friend. :) I am an Online Missionary & think that you might find some of our website's very helpful! There are Bible Lessons & devotionals that can be so helpful.

    Also, have you ever heard of a program/ministry called, "Celebrate Recovery?" It is a wonderful Christian based AA type program. I was a part of it & it is so good & helped me a lot. If you want I can help you find one near you.

    I am wondering if you have considered visiting other churches? I know you are Mormon but, I had a friend who was Mormon who became a part of our church (not as a member). Our Church name was Fairmeadows A/G. Now she is @ a Baptist church. I truly don't believe that God intended for us to attend churches with "specific names" or denominations!! She has & is attending these church "names" because they are where she feels comfortable AND where she feels the closest to God. :)

    Even my family has found this true. We have attended Assemblies of God, United Methodist, Nazarene, Church of God and now we are at a non-denominational. What is important is: do you feel God's presence, do the sermons lift your heart & give you encouragement? Do you feel comfortable when you visit, do people come & greet you? AND do you have any Christian friends? Even if they aren't Mormon, have you considered just visiting their church with them & seeing how comfortable you feel? Just because I say I am Assemblies of God originally, doesn't mean that I am giving my home church an insult or offensive by searching for God where ever He is! :)

    I hope I have encouraged you and that you will think deeply on what I have suggested. Here are a couple of websites you might like to visit: http://www.godlife.com, http://www.godlife.com/topics/bible (this 1 talks the Bible & daily reading), http://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/index.cfm (this has 3 devotionals that you might find helpful in your daily Bible reading).

    Oh, I want you to know that the websites I gave you don't have any denomination. They are only about sharing the Love of God for you!! :)

    'May the LORD bless you and keep you. May the LORD smile down on you and show you his kindness. May the LORD answer your prayers and give you peace.' (Numbers 6:24-26 ERV)

    ReplyDelete