Thursday, July 18, 2013

30 days sober from places I should not have gone

I'm 30 days sober today and I'm still reading the scriptures.  I read Elder Hollands 1988 talk "Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments" last night because I had seen something about it posted on another recovery blog.  I didn't necessarily learn anything new, but it was a good reminder of "the why".  I did like this quote from the end of the talk:

"In the more ecclesiastical words of James E. Talmage: It has been declared in the solemn word of revelation, that the spirit and the body constitute the soul of man; and, therefore, we should look upon this body as something that shall endure in the resurrected state, beyond the grave, something to be kept pure and holy. Be not afraid of soiling its hands; be not afraid of scars that may come to it if won in earnest effort, or [won] in honest fight, but beware of scars that disfigure, that have come to you in places where you ought not have gone, that have befallen you in unworthy undertakings [pursued where you ought not have been]; beware of the wounds of battles in which you have been fighting on the wrong side. (Conference Report, Oct. 1913, p. 117)
If some few of you are feeling the scars that have come to you in places where you ought not have gone, I wish to extend to you the special peace and promise available through the atoning sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ. I testify of his love and of the restored gospel principles and ordinances which make that love available to us with all their cleansing and healing power."  

I don't know what life will bring for me.  I had figured that I would be married and have children by this time in my life.  I wonder if I may have forfeited blessings through my disobedience that I may or may not be able to claim.  Right now, I know that I need to focus on recovery.  But, I do know that I don't want to be fighting on the wrong side anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog :) loving it so far!

    In reply to your last paragraph. I have had those exact same thoughts. The conclusion that I've come to, or that the Lord has allowed me to see, is that I have not forfeited my blessings. There is a plan for me, and all that I have experienced has been part of that plan. He has yet to bless me with amazing things as I continue on my path towards Him. I don't know what He has in store for me, but I do know that things will happen in His time and in His way, and that THAT will be the best way.

    There's really no use in me looking back and saying "if only". I'll drive myself mad if I do. Just keep moving forward, one step at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the fight has begun. Huge miracles in the works. I can feel it! Chin up my friend, your fire gets brighter every day.

    ReplyDelete